DO vs MD Residency: What Is Your Choice?
Getting onto any residency program is hard work. You will find that all of the places are very limited and you will be competing against many others that are going to be as excellently qualified as you are. How well you write your MD personal statement and other documents will therefore heavily influence your chances of success and gaining an interview.
But which should you be applying to for your residency? What is the difference between a DO and an MD residency? The following are what the two specialties are:
MD: This is a doctor that practices Allopathic medicine and is the traditional doctor that most people see focusing on treatment and diagnosis of diseases.
DO: This form of doctor focuses on Osteopathic medicine and seeks to provide a holistic view of what is going on with the patient. They seek to treat the whole person rather than simply focusing on looking at just symptoms.
What Are Your Medical Residency Application Documents?
Whether you are IMG, USMG or any other type of applicant you will be making your application through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). This is where you will upload all of your MD residency requirements and then select the residencies that you are interested in applying to. If they are interested in your application then you will be interviewed and you may then be ranked for selection within the Match.
You must ensure that you provide all of the information that they are looking for and your ERAS personal statement formatting and everything else must be done perfectly. The following are the documents and other information that you will be required to provide through ERAS:
- Electronic application form: this is completed through your MyERAS login and will contain all of your personal information. It will also require everything that you would normally supply within your resume such as your employment history and education.
- MD personal statement: some residencies may call this an application essay or medical residency letter of intent. If you can write this well it is your opportunity to show yourself off in the best possible light. You can put in your own words why you are looking for the residency and what will make you so good in your field. It will often be the most important part of your application.
- MSPE (Medical Student Performance Evaluation): another very important part of your application that will summarize your academic performance. Also known as the Dean’s letter it can have a significant impact on your chances of success if you have performed well in past studies.
- Medical School Transcripts: these are a full record of your time at medical school. They are not put into your ERAS by you. They are uploaded directly by your medical school at your request.
- Letters of recommendation: you are able to select the recommenders for your letters within the ERAS system. The system will then email them directly for them to provide you with an LoR. Of course, you must ensure that you talk with them first and have them agree to provide you with a letter. Once they have written your letter they will be able to submit it to the system through their own login.
- ECFMG report: the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates will provide a report on your status, exam results, and other information if you are an International Medical Graduate (IMG). This is applicable whether you are a native of the US or not as long as you have studied for your degree overseas. Again the information is uploaded directly to your account.
- USMLE transcripts: the residency programs will want to know how well you did within your United States Medical Licensing Examination. Again these figures will be uploaded directly within the system rather than by you.
Where Should You Apply with Your MD Personal Statement?
You will always want to ensure that you get yourself onto the best possible residency for your training. Not just for the higher level of support that you will gain but also for the boost that this will provide for your resume later in your career. The following are some of the best areas that you could apply to for your residency:
- Harvard Medical School
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of California SF
- Perelman at the University of Pennsylvania
- Duke University
- Ann Arbor
- Columbia University
- Stanford University
- Washington University St. Louis
- Vanderbilt University
What Specialty Should You Apply for Within Your Residency?
There are many different fields that you could apply within for your medical residency. The following are some of the top areas that are applied to each year:
- Internal medicine
- General Surgery
- Family Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopedic surgery
- Nuclear Medicine
- Medical Genetics
- Plastic Surgery
- Allergy and Immunology
Why Work with Our Residency Personal Statement Writing Service?
Whether you want to view MD personal statement examples, advice for writing, or need professional help with your ERAS application we can help you. We provide you with access to some of the most effective writers and editors that fully understand how your application should be made. Our experts know the ERAS process inside out as well as having a full understanding of what the different residencies expect.
With our professional help you will get to benefit from:
- Direct access to a higher degree qualified expert in your field of application with many years of experience helping others with their applications.
- Unique writing that is tailored to you. We don’t use basic templates or copy what others have written. Your personal statement is targeted to your application and is delivered to you with a plagiarism report.
- Error-free work: we provide you with free proofreading on every service that is provided. This ensures that your first impression is not spoiled by mistakes in your writing.
- Delivered quickly and on time: we always ensure that you will be able to submit your statement on time and will achieve any deadline agreed no matter how tight.
- Full satisfaction money back guarantee: if you don’t like the service that you receive and we are unable to resolve the situation you will be provided a full refund.